Saturday, March 27, 2010

Time Marches On..

Hey, I made it back in less than 6 months..ya me.

I finally got my nerve up to get my annual physical after FOUR years. The grand plan was to lose the extra 40 pound so my cholesterol levels would be normal and I would be safe from the dreaded statins for another few years. As with most unformed and unplanned ideas, it never happened and it took a new frightening symptom to jolt me into action.

Probably independent of the cracked noggin symptoms, a new odd one popped up out of the blue about a month ago, strange electrical shock like zings down my arms, back and legs when I lowered my head. Not painful, just like touching a weak but live current. Teamed with the constant ache in my back for the last year or so which I thought was just muscle spasms, I bit the bullet and headed into my doctor's office.

I was able to convince my doc to get multiple view xrays of my neck and I was relieved yet unhappy to learn there was something there: a bone spur on C6. It may not sound like much but over time it will grow into the spinal canal and my symptoms are likely to worsen from just sensory to maybe motor symptoms (meaning causing actual changes in strength etc. that may impact my ability to work, exercise and function in everyday life). This may not happen but as a nurse I know what \is possible.

In addition as I knew would probably be true, ALL my cholesterol levels are elevated and I was told to start the nasty Fish Oil caps. Then I learned my Vitamin D level was significantly below normal and I need to start taking a weekly prescription level of Vitamin D. I know it's been a dreary winter but this was ridiculous..and it's not just a insignificant minor annoyance.. the research in medicine has shown low Vitamin D levels can be associated with increase risk of cancer. Of course I accepted the direction to change my diet and increase exercise which I knew was coming. I've been remarkable healthy in my life up to this point so I should not be too surprised at age related things cropping up.

After spending some time digesting this information I followed up on an idea I have been mulling for a few weeks: joining a new gym I've been hearing about..Lifetime Fitness. I've heard glowing things from several friends about this new player in town and decided to check it out.
Although a large gym, the help is everywhere, and there are more than enough types of equipment to satisfy any type of exercise I might want to do. I took the tour, considered a few days and joined. It seems to be a fantastic place!

More importantly it's time to take hold of the fear related to my dizziness (cracked noggin again) and START TO SWIM AGAIN. The new gym has THREE pools (2 indoor, 1 outdoor) AND a Master's swim class. I know if I can successfully swim and get comfortable with the idea again that I can knock that barrier out of the way and start training for multisport events again. Fear is both a powerful inhibitor and a powerful motivator and now it's the fear of my family's medical history chasing me to an early grave.

So a new chapter starts and it's time to heed the information I have now. It's not a matter of vanity any more but now a matter of health and maintaining a functional life and I won't go down without a fight.

A large regret I carry now is in my misguided ideas that I was not good enough I turned my back on a good friend and I hope she will see I would love to have her back in my life. I've lost too many chances out of fear and it's time to put it behind me.

Until next update..

No comments: